Welcome to the Statements to Live By Page
‘Statements to Live By’ is a unique resource initially developed by teachers across the Middlesbrough, Leeds, Hallam, and Hexham and Newcastle Dioceses facilitated by Theresa Laverick, RE Adviser for Middlesbrough and Frank McDermott (formerly Director of Schools for Hallam) and is used successfully in a number of schools throughout the Diocese.
The resource is rooted in nine guiding principles which support the distinctive nature of Catholic schools. The statements make the Catholic values of the school explicit, promote a positive and caring Christian ethos that is understood and communicated to everyone, promote emotional literacy and contribute towards community cohesion and the common good. They ensure that children and young people are given opportunities to:
- Hear the Christian story and encounter the person of Jesus
- Understand their uniqueness as made in the image and likeness of God
- Experience a sense of belonging within a range of communities, including the local Eucharistic community
- Know, appreciate and understand the importance of social justice
- Know that our limitations are also opportunities for growth
- Understand the connection between knowledge and living
- Know that everything has the opportunity to reveal God’s presence to us, ie to see the divine in the ordinary
- Forgive and be forgiven, to reconcile and be reconciled
Experience fun, humour, imagination, creativity, play and excitement in life
Schools can prove excellence by gaining industry standard awards. View awards we have attained.
Free News Service
Click on the icon to the left to subscribe to a free RSS feed school news service.
You can also follow us on social media. Click on the icons at the very bottom of this web page.